Thursday, August 25, 2011

GlobeTelecom's BM622 Modem is Vulnerable

If you're of the first customers of Globe Telecom's Wimax Service, then you might own a Huawei Echolife BM622 modem.
Huawei BM622

I own one, and just recently I found out that it's hackable, meaning, you can get free internet even if you don't have any subscription. I said..'Really?'. So I made some research and found out that everyone is looking to buy this modem, even the disconnected ones. I dug deeper, until such time that I found myself navigating through the modem's restricted areas like the Admin Control Panel. I even changed my modem's Mac Address, and this is the part that got me baffled. Could we really change a code that is built into the hardware? Anyhow, I managed to changed mine with a Mac address "borrowed from a neighbor". Let's just say my neighbor's subscription is 1mbps while mine is only 512kbps. If all works out, my speed should be around 1mbps. Surprisingly, it did! So I was thinking, I'm not a hacker by nature, but I just made an illegal activity. By the way, I don't have any intention of keeping the Mac Address to myself, I'm happy with my current speed and I will continue paying for it.
I will not go into details about how I did the whole process, for obvious reasons. I just wanted to see for myself about the BM622 modem and it's vulnerabilities. True enough, it can be easily penetrated even by a novice computer user.  Globe Telecom, be warned.

No comments:

 

Labels

Disclaimer

We acknowledge that everything posted in this website are not the absolute facts . Postings may contain fact, speculation or rumor. Images presented here are from the Web that are believed to belong in the public domain. If anything that appears on the site is in violation of any copyright law, please contact us immediately and we will remove the offending information as soon as possible.
Return to top of page Copyright © 2010 | Sumalnap Online